Top Tips for car rental in the Americas
The USA, Canada, The Caribbean and South and Central America are popular destinations at this time of year and what better way to see as much as possible than a road trip?
If you are thinking about hiring a car in America, we’ve got some top tips from Bettersafe experts to make sure the dream trip does not become a nightmare.
1) Book before you go. Booking well in advance ensures you get the best price for your car rental. You can purchase car hire insurance cover up to 364 days in advance. You should make good savings by being organised.
2) Travellers to the USA and Canada need to consider three types of insurance, Collision Damage Waiver (CDW), Loss Damage Waiver (LDW) and Supplemental Liability Insurance (SLI) when hiring a car. For more in-depth information on an insurance check out our Guide to Car Hire in The Americas.
3) Never assume. Check what’s included in the package before you buy. Your car hire cover may already include CDW, third party cover (SLI) or both but it is important to check.
4) Prepare yourself for the sales pitch and beware of unnecessary or overpriced add-ons. Naturally, the hiring company will have their own policies, but it’s not necessary to purchase their insurance if you are already covered for the same thing. This is often where you can save money as a policy from a company like Bettersafe is likely to be much cheaper than the hire car company’s own policy.
5) Always check the hire car for damage before it is driven and when you return the car. Take photos or even videos. If you are charged for damage that you did not cause, you will be pleased you took the time to collate evidence against the charge. Ensure any damage is recorded on the check-out sheet, to make sure charges are not made for existing damage.