Protecting your income should you become ill or have an accident
We are able to cover you if you are unable to work due to contracting coronavirus.
At Bettersafe, we have designed a comprehensive Short Term Income Protection policy to protect our customers should they suffer loss of income through accident or illness. Such significant events are stressful and unsettling so we have focused on designing a product that offers choice, flexibility and support if you have to make a claim.
What is Accident and Sickness Income protection?
Income Protection is a short-term policy that allows you to protect your income against unfortunate incidents such as suffering an illness or having an accident. The policy offers a range of waiting periods to help tailor your policy needs and premium affordability. You can cover your income up to £2,000 per month, or 65% of your normal income, whichever is lower.
Why Accident and Sickness Insurance?
Most of us aren’t be able to foresee a broken bone or a sudden illness. When this happens, it can often mean time off work resulting in a loss of earnings. This can put a lot of pressure on you and your family if you have to cover your bills, rent or even food!
By covering yourself with a Bettersafe Accident and Sickness Income Protection policy you’ll be safe in the knowledge that you’ll have some breathing room whilst off work.
What does short term accident and sickness income protection cover?
- Cover up to £2,000 per month
- Range of waiting periods from zero days up to 120 days
- Switch your cover from a previous provider with no extra charge
- Easy to pay monthly premiums
- Claims payments made directly to you
- Helpline service offering support for personal legal advice, tax advice and counselling
- Straightforward application process
How does Accident and Sickness Income Protection Work?
A Bettersafe Income protection policy simply is designed to protect a proportion of your monthly income if circumstances prevent you from being able to work due to either an accident or illness.
To be able to claim on your policy, this must be certified by a doctor and leave you totally unable to carry out your work duties due to your accident or illness.
The policy also protects you if you return to your job on a temporarily reduced hours. However, this must not be more than 75% of your usual hours and these temporary changes do not become permanent.
Am I eligible for Accident and Sickness Insurance?
In order to be eligible for Bettersafe’s Accident and Sickness Income Insurance, you must meet the following criteria:
- are 18 or over and under 64 years of age.
- are permanently resident within the United Kingdom and have been so for at least 6 months.
- are working within the United Kingdom, for at least 16 hours a week, and have been doing so continuously for the previous 6 months.
- are not absent from work due to illness or injury, other than due to a minor illness such as a cold or flu. (If you are off work with a minor illness then your disability cover, if you have selected it, will not commence until you return to work).
- are not aware of any impending job losses to be imposed by your employer that are about to happen and are likely to affect you.
- are not aware that you will have to give up work to become a career.
- are not aware, if you are self-employed, that you will have to cease trading in your self-employed business because you cannot find enough work to meet your day to day business and living expenses.
Do I really need Accident and Sickness Insurance?
As with every type of insurance, this all depends. Your main consideration should be: what are my monthly outgoings?
Do you have consistent monthly bills to pay, such as rent, a mortgage, water and gas, school fees, tv subscriptions…? The list of outgoing costs could be endless! So really you are the only one who knows if it is a worthwhile investment.
However, if you are the sole income of your household or your employer doesn’t offer sick pay then you should seriously consider protecting your income.
Does COVID-19 impact my policy?
No! We protect your income if you are forced to take time off work for any accident or sickness. However, we currently do not protect against unemployment.