CAR HIRE EXCESS INSURANCE
Car hire excess insurance from Bettersafe ensures that if you are charged an excess for any damage to a hire car, you will be able to claim reimbursement. Bettersafe has different travel areas: UK and Europe and Worldwide.
What is excess insurance?
When you rent a car, the price will typically include some form of insurance from the car rental provider. However, that insurance is likely to be subject to a potentially very substantial "excess".
The excess is the amount of money that the rental agency will expect you to pay towards the cost of any damage to the vehicle while it is hired to you.
The sums involved can be very high – up to £2,000 in some cases.
Our Car Hire Excess Insurance insures you for up to £7,500.
You can find out more about our policies by visiting our FAQ or by looking at the policy wording.
Collision Damage Waiver (CDW) and Supplementary Liability Insurance (SLI)
In some countries around the world car rental agreements only offer limited or no third-party liability insurance.
In addition to the normal excess, CDW/SLI policy provides cover for any amount you become liable for over and above the car hire company's own policy up to US $100,000 CDW for damage to the rental vehicle and US $1,000,000 for third party bodily injury and damage to material property.
|Daily UK & Europe||£1.99||Buy Now|
|Daily Worldwide (ex. CDW & SLI)||£4.99||Buy Now|
|Daily Worldwide (inc. CDW & SLI)||£7.99||Buy Now|
|Annual UK & Europe||£37.99||Buy Now|
|Annual Worldwide (ex. CDW & SLI)||£46.99||Buy Now|
|Annual Worldwide (inc. CDW & SLI)||£92.99||Buy Now|
Insurance tailored for you
* All the information about Bettersafe Reimbursement Insurance will be found on the bottom of that page (here). Please, read it carefully.
What are Collision Damage Waiver and Supplementary Liability Insurance (CDW & SLI)?
If you have budgeted carefully for your car rental, you want to find yourself in the position of needing to find substantial extra amounts after you have returned it. Car hire excess insurance from Bettersafe will make sure that you are protected from such a position.
Real examples of claims
- You have received an excess charge to your credit card because the rental company has claimed one of the baby seats was damaged and it was not covered by their policy.
- You have been notified that the car hire company believes the car was significantly scratched at the time you returned it.
- Following a mis–fuelling error you have been charged for significant repairs as this risk is not included in typical car rental insurance.
- A large bill for damage to the undercarriage of the vehicle has been charged to your card, as such damage is typically not included under standard car rental insurance.
- Any other circumstance where you have received an excess charge following a qualifying claim.
Why buy it?
Given the scale of your potential financial exposure, it is easy to see why protecting yourself with car hire excess cover can be the most sensible option.
Buying in advance from Bettersafe is likely to be much cheaper than buying from the car hire company.
|Car Hire Company||Excess||Excess Waiver Cost||Cost Of Excess Waiver Per Day||Rental Only Cost||Combined Cost Of Rental And Excess Waiver||Excess Waiver Costs As A % Of The Cost Of Rental|
|AVIS||Theft £1,157 Damage £609||£188.64||£23.58||£402.86||£591.50||31.9%|
|HERTZ||Theft £1,740 Damage £1,392||£281.82||£35.23||£372.19||£654.01||43.1%|
|EUROPCAR||Theft £2,185 Damage £1,214||£258.36||£32.30||£372.48||£630.84||40.0%|
|SIXT||Theft £1,771 Damage £1,386||£203.04||£25.38||£340.11||£543.15||37.4%|
|EUROPCAR||Theft £3,045 Damage £1,218||£177.02||£22.13||£305.67||£482.69||36.7%|
(Data; March 2018) The table shows the excess insurance (CDW) cost for a UK resident renting a Fiat 500L or equivalent car (mid-range, Group D/E) from Milan (airport) for 8 days rental from 01/10/2018 - 08/10/2018.
Compare this to Bettersafe - car hire excess insurance where we charge from £1.99 per day for the same cover (i.e.reduction to a nil excess).