Home Excess Insurance

Home Excess Insurance from Bettersafe will allow you to reclaim any excess deductions you have experienced following a successful claim on your main household insurance policy.

Choose The Level Of Excess Cover That's Correct For You

What Is Excess Insurance?

Typically, your home insurance will include something called an ‘excess’. That can be a very substantial sum of money that your main policy provider will expect you to pay as the first part of any future claim.

In other words, that excess will typically be deducted from your final settlement figure and that may have financial implications.

Bettersafe's home excess insurance will protect you from your excess deductions, including for damage caused by subsidence.

Why Should You Buy A Home Excess Policy?

If you are unlucky enough to suffer a serious problem with your property, your insurance claim is something you will want to be resolved as quickly as possible. If you are unable to cover your agreed upon excess this can severely delay this.

If you purchase our home excess protection policy, you won't have to worry!

If you have seen a deduction on your main policy settlement of £1,000 for excess then we will simply reimburse you that sum.

In addition, you might even be able to use a Bettersafe policy to save you money. Taking on a higher voluntary excess to decrease the cost of your main home insurance policy premium, saving you money. You can then insure this higher excess with our household excess insurance.

Do I Qualify For Home Excess Insurance?

  • You must be named as the policyholder under your home insurance policy.
  • This only applies to personal insurance. It does not include any commercial insurances.
  • There must be an excess under your home insurance policy.

What Is Covered?

  • Excess deductions arising as a result of flooding.
  • Fire
  • Subsidence
  • Water leaks.
  • Storm damage.

Our policy will cover any type of excess providing that the main claim on your home insurance policy was accepted by your insurance provider and you have been offered a settlement figure with a clearly visible excess deduction.

Home excess insurance might make all the difference between a problem with your property being seen as just an inconvenience rather than a financial disaster.

A Bettersafe policy will also cover the excess if you live in a non-standard property!

Are There Any Exclusions?

  • If the incident that gave rise to the claim under your Home Insurance Policy happened before the Start Date of Cover, as stated in Your Insurance Schedule
  • Where no Excess was paid by You or deducted from the claim settlement by the insurer of Your Home Insurance Policy
  • If Your claim under Your Home Insurance Policy was not successful or was for less than the amount of the Excess
  • Where any amount contributed by You or deducted from the settlement of Your claim is not clearly stated as being the policy Excess
  • Where the Excess required from You under Your Home Insurance Policy has already been/or will be reimbursed by another party

How To Make A Claim?

1. Check your policy wording. Ensure you are aware of any exclusions which may apply and that you understand them.

2. Notify the claim. All claims must be notified to the administrator within 30 days of receiving the settlement on your primary policy.

Claims Administrator Contact Details

Unit MCAG02  Building A, Ground Floor, Room 2 

Marvan Court, 1 Waldegrave Road,


TW11 8LZ

Telephone: +44 (0) 20 3740 4431


3. The Administrator will send you a claim form, which you should fill in and send back as soon as possible. You will need to provide the relevant documentation where you can.