Car Excess FAQ's



My car insurance policy has an excess, what is it?
Most insurance policies require you, the policyholder, to pay the first part of a claim. This is called the policy excess. It is also sometimes called a deductible.
How does the excess work on my insurance policy?
When you make an insurance claim you will be asked to either make a contributory payment when you collect your vehicle once repaired or your claim payment from the insurer will be reduced by the amount of the applicable policy excess. Either way you will have to pay part of the claim yourself.
What is Car Excess insurance?
It is possible to insure the amount of excess under your car insurance policy. For a modest additional charge you can take out additional insurance which will pay your excess for you. Often the cost of this protection is less than the saving in the original cost of insurance.
How long does the insurance policy last?
Car Excess insurance is an annual renewable policy.
Will I still need to buy car insurance?
Yes, Car Excess insurance is supplementary to your car insurance – it covers the excess under your car insurance policy not the car itself.
How does Car Excess insurance work?
Once you purchase Car Excess insurance your original car insurance policy excess is protected. If you make a claim under your car insurance policy, we will pay your excess for you to the repairer or garage once you notify us of the claim, if you pay your excess yourself, keep your receipts and we will reimburse you the amount of your excess.
What is covered under Car Excess insurance?
This depends on the amount of the original policy excess you choose to protect but is usually equal to your existing excess.
Can I protect the excess under an existing car insurance policy?
Yes; you can take out Car Excess insurance at any time. We recommend that you do so when you purchase or renew your car insurance policy.
What happens if the repair cost is less than the excess under my car insurance policy?
If the value of your claim is a lower than the amount of the excess under your car insurance, it will not be covered under either your car insurance policy or your Car Excess insurance.
Does the Car Excess insurance cover accidents which are my fault?
Yes both at-fault and non-fault accidents are covered?
Who is the insurer of Car Excess insurance?
This insurance is underwritten by certain syndicates of Lloyd’s of London, which is authorised by the Prudential Regulatory Authority and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority and the Prudential Regulatory Authority.
How do I make a claim?
For policies purchased prior to the 1st of October 2018, please contact Car Care Plan on telephone: +44 (0) 344 573 8240 or Via Email:
For policies purchased on or afther the 1st of October 2018, please contact our Claims Administrator, Commercial & General Ltd on telephone: +44 (0) 20 3740 4431 or Via Email:
For more information, please look at the claims section here or refer to your insurance poliy document. 
How can I cancel this my Car Excess insurance?
You may cancel your Car Excess insurance within 14 days of receiving it (cooling-off period) and you will be entitled to a full refund of the premium as long as you have not made and do not intend to make a claim.
You can also cancel at any time after the 14 day cooling-off period and we will make a proportionate refund of the premium paid, as long as you have not made a claim and do not intend to make a claim.
However, any such refund may be subject to an administration charge.
To cancel cover please contact us by writing or emailing to Bettersafe Products Ltd, email address, with your policy reference number, your confirmation you have not nor intend to make a claim and the reason you wish to cancel.
Your premium refund will then be credited back to the debit or credit card you used in the original purchase. This can take up to 10 days to appear on your card statement.
How can I make a complaint?
We aim to provide a high level of service to all our customers but occasionally things can go wrong. When this happens, we will do everything we can to put things right and assist you.

If you wish to make a complaint, please telephone us on +44 (0)20 3740 4431.

For more information on how to complain please look here.

Bettersafe logo
The website is managed by Commercial & General Ltd T/A as Commercial & General is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority (no. 300001).

17 Teddington Business Park, Station Road, Teddington
Middlesex, TW11 9BQ
Copyright © Commercial & General Ltd 2019.
All rights reserved.

Developed by: Discover IT (UK) Ltd
Coverholder at Lloyds